Math Curriculum

The fourth grade math curriculum will provide opportunities for your child to build on previous knowledge and grow as a mathematician, using a variety of materials and methods. Our math book is part of the Origo Slate Stepping Stones curriculum which efficiently covers all of the Ohio 4th grade math standards. We also use Exemplars which provide students with opportunities to develop critical thinking, reasoning and communications skills while solving real-world problems.

For the past two years I have been extremely fortunate to have been part of a wonderful math professional development opportunity provided by the Teaching and Learning and Collaborative in Worthington. This learning opportunity has changed the way I approach math instruction and how I see opportunities for students to grow as mathematicians and life-long learners. Their approach to math is based on the knowledge of many of our country’s leading math experts. Students learn important math concepts through discovery, modeling, communicating and investigation.

Number Talks will also be an important part of our math learning. Number Talks are important for developing number sense. Students learn to solve calculations mentally and flexibly and justify their thinking.

I want to inspire your children to love math and learn to be life-long problem solvers with top-notch communication skills. Today’s approach to math instruction is very different than the math instruction most of us had as students. If you would like to join us for a math class, please do!